*** PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY ****
The South Asian Women’s Centre invites you to participate in our free full day forum titled “There is No ‘honour’ in Violence Against Women and Girls” . The forum will look at developing community strategies by bringing together community members, service providers and other stakeholders to address violence against women.
The forum will begin with presentations by legal and media experts and advocates on “honour” violence and will address the impact and effect of discourses of violence against women from South Asian communities and their ability to access services.
The presentations will be followed by lunch and afternoon roundtable discussions on strategies to address violence against women in our community.
Expert speakers include:
- Angie Seth (Reporter with Global News)
- Deepa Mattoo (Staff Lawyer with the South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario)
- Wendy Komiotis (Executive Director of METRAC)
Afternoon Roundtable Groups:
- Intergenerational Dialogue: Youth and Parents
- Service Supports for Front Line Workers
- Media and the Discourse on “Honour” Violence
- Accessing Services: Barriers and Expectations
Please register at: http://goo.gl/ntUhVx
Lunch and snacks will be provided! TTC Tokens available for those who qualify.
Once registered, you will be contacted via email to provide your preference of discussion group.
We look forward to a day of building community strength and responses with you! We welcome a variety of voices from diverse sectors!
DATE: February 17, 2015
TIME: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Friend’s House (60 Lowther, Toronto, ON M5R 1C7)